For 35-year-old Towanda Price, Thursday morning started out as just another day at work at a local restaurant. But just minutes into her shift, she got a phone call that her Southside Chicago apartment was on fire.
Towanda’s son Terrance was at home sleeping at the time of the fire that started in the apartment above them. The 16-year-old inhaled some smoke, but got out safely.
Everything the family owned was completely soaked in water and ruined. With almost nothing in the refrigerator, and a home that was uninhabitable, Towanda was grateful the Red Cross quickly arrived on the scene.
“I’m thankful the Red Cross could do something for us,” she said. “I’m not sure what we could have done without their help.”
Both mom and son were tearful that they lost their home, but said help from the Red Cross, and words of encouragement from the dedicated volunteers, will help them get back on their feet.
Story and photo by Bob McCaffrey, American Red Cross Volunteer