Spring is here! Time to bring out the grill! So, when you bring your grill out this spring just remember a few helpful tips to keep your home safe!
- Only use propane and charcoal grills outdoors.
- Place the grill well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
- When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
And don’t forget… Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. The NFPA recommends that you apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles. If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again. If the leak does not stop, call the fire department.
Fire safety tips are brought to you by Team Firestopper! We’re working to stop fires before they start in your community! For more information or fire tips, visit www.chicagoredcross.org/tfs or www.redcross.org/homefires!