We know that you are probably trying to outshine your neighbors with holiday lights this winter, so shine away! But, be careful – holiday lights used improperly can also cause fires.
There are ways to stay fire safe, and even be green in the process!! Follow our tips and you’ll be on your way to outshining your whole neighborhood!
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both so be sure to check!
- Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory.
- Connect no more than three strands of mini light sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs.
- Or, go green and try LED holiday lights that burn less energy and produce less heat!
- Turn off all electrical light strings and decorations in your home before leaving home or going to bed. You can purchase a light timer to turn on and off lights for you at a set time everyday!
And always remember… smoke alarms save lives. Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen, on each level of your home, near sleeping areas, and inside and outside bedrooms if you sleep with doors closed. Use the test button to check it each month. Replace all batteries at least once a year.
These fire safety tips are brought to you by Team Firestopper! We’re working to stop fires before they start in your community! For more information or fire tips, visit www.chicagoredcross.org/tfs or www.redcross.org/homefires!